Follow Our Tulips Day by Day
When is the best time to visit?
What is the weather condition?
How many tulips are in bloom?
Explore free online events from Ananda centers, meditation groups and communities around the world.
- Learn to meditate
- Guided meditations
- Spiritual and inspiration talks
- Chants and singing
- Healing prayers global healing
- Sunday Service
ABOUT THE GARDENS
Did you know that….
- in 1969 Swami Kriyananda established Ananda Village, an intentional spiritual community based on the teachings of the great yoga Master Paramhansa Yogananda.
- in 1968 a friend built the original dome structure.
- in 1983 an inheritance from Swami Kriyananda’s parents inspired him to build “a beautiful spiritual center for our whole Ananda community. It would also be my home.”
- in 1984 the main building in the upper garden was completed. Kriyananda named his newly developed home, “Crystal Hermitage.” He consulted local architects, builders, and landscapers, and together with them created beautiful upper and lower gardens and pools.
- in 2009 the gardens opened to the public for the first time.
- The gardens were inspired by Butchart Gardens.
Weddings and Special Events
Sweeping vistas, luxurious gardens, pristine woods, and river canyon views makes Crystal Hermitage an ideal setting for your wedding day. Whether the plan is for a small gathering in the lovely stone chapel or a larger garden wedding surrounded by nature’s bouquet, the beauty and harmony of Crystal Hermitage is a perfect place for engagement, a wedding, or the celebrate the beginning of a new life or the end of a journey.
Garden Lover’s Cottage
Make your visit extra special!
- Avoid the crowds. Guests get after hours access to the tulip gardens.
- Experience life in a spiritual community.
- Explore and meditate in sacred temples, Lahri Mandir, Temple of Light and Moksha Mandir.
- Drop in for daily yoga and meditations at Expanding Light Retreat or Ananda Meditation Retreat.
- Hike Ananda’s private hiking trails or unlimited trails at Malakoff Diggins State Historic Park, Tahoe National Park, Independence trail, and South Yuba State Park.
Or call 530-478-7587
Spiritual Retreats, Meditation and Yoga Programs
Interested in expanding your Springtime experience? For more than 50 years, people have traveled from around the world to deepen their life through visits to our nearby retreat centers. Ananda Village is home to The Expanding Light Retreat, and nearby you will find the Ananda Meditation Retreat. Uplifting retreat programs with accommodations and dining are available year-round. Extend your connection through our online courses and virtual community at Ananda.org.
Plan Your Visit
Crystal Hermitage is located 20 mins outside Nevada City on the North San Juan Ridge. Make the most of your visit and check out these websites.
Absolutely stunning display of tulips as well as other flowers and trees. Well worth the price of admission. I won’t hesitate to visit again next year.Benjamin Takemoto-Like
This has been an annual destination for our family for the last 10 years. HAPPY, JOYFUL . . . the gardens and the people. I always walk away feeling inspired and uplifted.Niranjana Kushler
Beautiful flowers and overall setting. A lovely, but winding drive to get there via Nevada City. Be sure to stop and view the South Fork Yuba river with rushing water and huge, smoothed boulders. Ananda is peaceful and serene. Go midweek if you can!Connie G.
This is a wonderful place to be especially during the season in April when all the tulips are blooming. The gardens are stunning with many varieties of tulips in various sizes and amazing colors. There are 2 different garden areas an upper garden and a lower garden. It is about 20 minutes outside of Nevada City but is still considered Nevada City. There is a small view of the Yuba River from the property in one area. It is also a very spiritual site, and they have a beautiful chapel there with stained glass windows. They have a cafe on the property but I’m not sure how often they are open and we ate on the way back in Nevada City which has many good restaurants.Bruce G.